Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ch ch ch changes...

So if you saw my last post, you would know that I am in fact up the duff (thanks to all the comments too!). Blood tests and subsequent pee on a stick tests have confirmed! It caught me a bit off guard. I went off the pill in February and both GB and I assumed it would take the better part of a year if at all. We weren't measuring temps or bonking on demand, rather just letting fate take its course. If it were meant to be it would be. And so it was apparently!

I was due for TTOM last Tuesday, but waited till Friday to take a home pregnancy test. Didn't want to get GB's hopes up so did it after he left for work. But there it was in black and white. After a lot of pacing up and down the house, saying "holy shit" about a trillion times and with the dogs following me wondering what the fark was going on, I got on with my day and went to work (end of financial year being a ridiculously busy time for me).

I wondered how to tell GB and decided to nick to the shops and bought a "Greatest Dad" mug. When we went home for lunch I gave it to him. He didn't really get it, so I had to explain. He's very excited to say the least. We then discussed not getting to excited and ahead of ourselves as it hasn't been confirmed by a doc and even if it is, things can happen in the first 3 months.

I went and saw my GP later in the afternoon, where he had me pee on yet another stick - which was a faint positive (apparently morning widdle contains more of the pregnancy hormones) and sent me off with info, and instructions to have blood tests and an ultrasound in 2/3 weeks. Being a Friday I had to wait til Monday for the results which were all good and confirmed pregnancy as between 4-5 weeks.

Over the weekend I scoured the net for information about what the flaming heck I'm supposed to do now! Apparently OB's can book up before even the 5 week mark (how do people even know??) so I researched for recommendations and called up on Monday to book one. Going private but I can't believe how much out of pocket! Private only covers the delivery fees & hospital costs and none of the antenatal appointments - bloody lovely.

So now I'm humming and haaing about whether to do this ultrasound or not. I'm pretty confident of the expected due date (1 March 2011) as my cycle is pretty solid. Also my first OB appt is at the 11 week mark where I'll have an ultrasound I'm assuming to rule out any nasty stuff. So not sure if this one is necessary or not.

We didn't want to tell anyone till after the 1st trimester gets the all clear. Unfortunately I'm off to Bali with my two sisters on the 11th July for one of their 30th bday. I'm pretty sure they'll notice me not indulging in cocktails while we're there! So we've accepted that they will know. Not telling till we're in Bali though so they have 5 days to be excited and not show anyone!! It will be nice to have their support should anything go wrong.

So it goes without saying I'm sure that if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook - mum's the word. Private messages only please!

I've decided to come clean here as I'm sure I'll need to vent/speak to someone over the next few weeks so may as well use this space as an opportunity!

I'm feeling generally ok at the moment (although it is early days). A bit tired and horrific heartburn but that's manageable. I haven't been able to keep dinner down the last two nights though from being stuck - but I wonder if it's more stress related than anything. I'm guessing I'll need to start prenatal vitamins so that's next to do on the research!

Thanks for all your support,

5 comments:

  1. YIPP-EE! How exciting! How wonderful! Enjoy this moment! I love hearing good news like this! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you!!!! I wish we were the same size so I could send you my maternity clothes (that is I wish I was the same size as you and not the other way around LOL)

    You are making me clucky (don't know how that is possible as I have a newborn and a toddler to drive me crazy LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you Em! Big congratulations from the newest mummy on the block. I will be following your pregnancy journey closely. Feel free to ask any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMFG!!!!!! That means you were preggus when we had lunch??? And we were even talking about it. I missed your last post and I only found this one because I read your name on another blog and they mentioned EM was pregnant and I thought.. NO WAY... not our Em.. and it bloody is....can you tell I'm excited!! CONGRATS.. oooh I'm sms'ing you right now!!!

    ReplyDelete